February 25, 2010

SUMMER, 500 DAYS

This is the best show I have seen in a long time.
If you have not seen it I highly recommend you do. It is not your typical happy ending love story. In fact, at the beginning the narrator warns you that it is not a love story. It's real life. It's not perfect. And to me that's what makes it wonderful, it's perfectly un-perfect.
I think that anyone can relate to this couple. We have all either been her or him or both and I find it quite refreshing. The good the bad the ugly. It's honest. Brutally, gut wrenching, heart breakingly honest.
I must admit that I am a bit biased to the show because I love Summer. (the girl, not the season. I love the season too but this post isn't about seasons) She is me. I am her. I am an unemotional, severly broken, fool lately. Well not lately, for the last few years or so at least. And seriously some her facial expressions are almost zombie like. There is a line in the show where Tom asks her what happens if she falls in love with someone and she says, "come on, you don't really believe in that do you?" and Tom says, "it's love, it's not Santa Clause." She goes on to insist that love is fantasy. Now I might not be to THAT extent of broken, though some days I swear I get closer and closer.
Tom adores her, everything about her. He's a hopeless romantic swears that she is the one. For a year and a half he insists that she is the one. She, on the other hand does not believe in the  one, let alone think she's found him. I could go on about this forever. I highly recommend you watch it and if you already have, watch it again. Brynn and I watch it at least once a week, no joke. There are quite a few swear words, fyi. Which makes watching it with a 3 yr old even that much more entertaining because she points them all out. "Mama we don't say shit", "Mama we don't say shut up". She used to say that only married people kiss but after watching this show 153 times she now says they can kiss because they love each other. (though the L word is not mentioned by either party in the course of the movie) I enjoy watching how she interprets things.
This is awesome. One of the best lines of the movie. She's had an off day and he says he's happy and she says, "you're happy??" and he says "you're not??" and she says "we fight all the time!!" and he says "that's bull shit!" Awesome. You have to watch it to get the humor but still. Awesome.
This is in Ikea. They are running through the store, dive on the bed, have "the talk" about how they both don't want anything serious, then they kiss, with a family of japanese people in the neighboring bathroom watching. I took Brynn to Ikea yesterday for the first time, and she insisted on laying down on every bed, to be just like Summer.
I have no idea why this is one of my favorite scenes in the movie. I love that he is willing to show her his view of the L.A. skyline and draw out and explain how he would make the most of the view. I also love that she wanted to know. It makes me want to find my own architect just so he can explain skylines to me. I'm intrigued.
To me this is the best way I have ever seen a broken heart portrayed in a movie.  All of the color in your life is gone, everything you've ever believed in vanishes, just like that. It's one moment and you can't catch your breath, everything goes from color to black and white and then it's gone. And you're there all alone. And it all happens so fast you can't even begin to wrap your head around it or the meaning or how you could not have possibly seen this coming. It is heart breaking.
But not as heart breaking as this. That's all I will say.

No comments: