December 23, 2009

TO DATE, OR NOT TO DATE

Ok so it might be to early to be thinking about this but I don't consider myself COMPLETELY washed up, I'm not incredibly unfortunate looking (meaning I have nice ta-ta's), and I'm only 27 for heck sakes. How long after a separation is it considered to be ok to date? Not only that but am I ready for it? Is the dating world ready for me? And where will I possibly find the time?? The ex and I were together off and on, including married life, for 7 years. To say he had me at my prime is fairly accurate. We met when I was 20, were friends for over a year, dated for a few months, he cheated, we broke up, we got back together, I get preggo, we get married and 3 years later here we are. That is the story of my 20's. I basically have 2 years, 2 months, 3 weeks, 1 day and 7 hours of my 20's left and I have every intention of soaking it all in.
Some people say that as soon as you're separated you are fair game, others say it's as soon as the divorce is finalized, some even go so far to say that there is a reasonable amount AFTER the divorce is final before dating is ok. Now I agree with that when it comes to being in a committed exclusive relationship with one other person but not with casual dating. If I am separated and a guy wants to take me to dinner or a movie or hang out, I'm all for it. If he wants to spend regular time with my kiddo, absolutely not. And I think that goes both ways. That is the biggest difference between dating at 21 and dating at 27, it's not only me that can get hurt this time. That and Miss Kaye is a little flirt and ends up with a crush on every guy she tends to be in contact with, so she could become attached and therefore get hurt in the process as well. This is not ok. Also, she has a daddy, she doesn't need a daddy, so I don't want anyone thinking they can just march right in and fill that position because then she will most likely hurt you. This girl loves her daddy. So as for now, sure, I think dating is ok if you are separated. I call that the need-to-know part of the divorce process, I really don't think the ex needs to know and I know I don't want to know his business either. I'm pretty sure I have this part down, now it's time for baby steps into whatever happens, happens.

No comments: